May 10 2011
The 2011 NBA Playoffs obviously didn’t go as according to plan for the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lake Show’s season ended abruptly at the hands of the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conferenence Semi-Finals.
LA was swept by the 3 seed Mavericks in a series that was really NEVER close. Game 1 in Los Angeles was the only game that came down to the final minutes as the Mavs won 96-94. After that it was ALL DALLAS, ALL THE TIME.
Throughout, LA looked confused, disinterested, and seemed as if basketball was the last thing on their mind. On top of LA’s play on the court, as a team the Lakers were in complete disarray. Whether it was Phil Jackson punching Pau Gasol’s bitch ass chest in game 3, center Andrew Bynum’s “trust issues” comments, Gasol’s breakup with his long time girlfriend Sylvia Castro that Gasol thinks was caused by a teammate’s wife (Kobe’s wife cough), or the complete debacle at the end of game 4;when Odom softly pushed Dirk and in one of the softer moves of the decade Bynum elbowed one the smallest players in the NBA, unguarded…LA punched a one way ticket to nowhere.
You really couldn’t have asked for LA’s season to end any worse. We were hoping that things would have gotten so bad that Ron Artest would have clubbed Khloe “the killer whale” Kardashian, but LA had enough bad karma.
Now we all know the questions on everyone and their baby mommas mind after Game 4: “Is the Lakers dynasty over?” and “Is Phil Jackson done in LA.”
Well here is our opinion, NO and NO.
First off, Phil Jackson is not going end his career in LA the way Game 4 and his last post game question unfolded. Second, if the Lakers choice to keep a similar core in Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Ron Ron and Shannon Brown they should be fine. Off court issues aside, LA would be fine with this core. They would just need to slightly twerk their on-court mentality. Instead of everyone playing as a role player to Kobe as LA has for the last 6 years; players like Bynum and Odom need to take more assertive roles in the offense. Because sorry to break it to ya but Kobe is becoming an old man. He doesn’t have the same playmaking skills and explosiveness he did when he rocked the ill fro. So Bynum and Odom need to take more shots. In terms of Pau…just get the man one of those Russian mail order brides.
Now if FloppingOut was the GM of the Lakers not only would we give Laker fans free hot dogs (Khloe 2) for opening night but we would try to make such changes…
- First: Get Phil Jackson’s ass on the phone and beg the best coach in NBA history to return.
- Second: Either tell Derek Fisher to take a bench role… or bye-bye…it’s been a nice ride D-Fish but the playmaking skills aren’t there brother.
- Third: Pay a Wall Street Ceo D-Bag to call Orlando and trick them into taking Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, a young gun like Shannon Brown (if he signs 2.4 mil player option) and some draft picks for Dwight Howard. Would be well worth it.
- Fourth: Squash whatever it is going on between Kobe and Gasol by opening a restaurant in LA called Kobe to Pau. The first Soul Food/Spanish restaurant…
- Fifth: Sign PG Aaron Brooks. A fast PG that can drop buckets.
- Sixth: Play these youngsters a lot more: G Trey Johnson, F Devin Ebanks and Shannon Brown (assuming he isn’t traded or signed).
- Seventh: Add some depth in FA. Look at PGs: Mario Chalmers, Aaron Brooks SGs: Delonte West, Nick Young, Arron Afflalo, Michael Redd SFs: Tayshaun Prince, Wilson Chandler, Thaddeus Young PF: Jason Smith C: NONE GET DWIGHT HOWARD….
Check out an updated Roster:
PG: Aaron Brooks, Mario Chalmers
SG: Kobe Bryant, Shannon Brown, Nick Young, Trey Johnson
SF: Ron Artest(If you can’t dump him and get T. Prince if no Brooks), Matt Barnes, Devin Ebanks
PF: Pau Gasol, Jason Smith
C: Dwight Howard (if he is here Brown would prob be gone)
Now obviously you’ll need a little work with the salary cap, but if LA can move some money around tell me that team is not a Title Contender?